The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Spitfire Engine Blown Sparky, Kaput

I thought that I was nearing the end of the Spitfire #3 build, but during the engine run-ups the post-crash RCGF-USA 10cc I just didn't like the sound of the engine, and she didn't seem to get up to full RPM/power. I found the following thrust results, average of 3 measures of static thrust, the aircraft weighs 8 lbs dry. Using a Thrust to Weight ration of 0.7, the plane would fly fine with 5.6 lbs of thrust (I couldn't find any other estimate of Thrust to Weight for gas):

14x6x2: 5.4 lbs
13x6x2: 4.2 lbs
13x8x3: 4.4 lbs



She just doesn't sound right. I am not confident the bearings, especially the front one, are okay, and I think she should produce more RPM.






The spark plug stripped, I think it was coming free during these run ups, and afterwards it just came loose, and it wouldn't tighten. I will be sending this engine to Joe Nelson at RCGF-USA to take a look at and see if he can solve the problems he finds. I suspect she will need a new cylinder head and bearing(s), possibly a new spark plug. 

In the meantime I am considering taking the RCGF-USA 10cc from the Sukhoi and moving it to the Spitfire. That engine runs perfectly, is the same exact engine, and would be a simple exchange. When the repaired engine comes back I can put it in the Sukhoi. I am stalling on that because it runs and works perfect in the Sukhoi and I don't want yo screw around with that. Patience...

No comments :

Post a Comment