The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, June 12, 2020

Of course the engine ran fine...

I had omens.


Every one in! We be flyin'!



As before, runs smooth on the ground, in the air, sputters like crazy, but runs like crazy!



I noticed something fall off in flight, no effect on controllability. Turns out she tossed her nose cone, broke the head of the retaining hex screw right off.  Louis helped look, but no joy. No problem, she hand starts fine, just one of those annoying things. She flew wonderfully, did several 45 deg landings into 90 deg crosswinds with no issues.



I started the Evolution 10cc on the Sbach. My first inclination was it was too windy for this small 10cc, cranky touchy on a windless day, but the gust, while magnificent (20-25 mph), they were not frequent, and always that 90 deg cross wind. I started her up wingless and with one small Hi needle adjustment she started and ran better than ever! Consistently. I decided to put the wings on and take her up. She flew her usual touchy self, 20% DR with 30% Expo and she was still touchy. The occasional gusts tried to flip her, and in controlling back she would be a bit over controlled. at altitude this didn't matter. Made a couple of missed approaches not because of the crosswind, but because she responded very aggressively to the changes. On final she dropped flat as a pancake from about 10 ft up, and broke her back, snapped the wing spar. Unrepairable, but I am kinda done with her. She has never been fun flying. I am not at all sad. I am annoyed that I just got the engine to run sweet. She crashed because of course the engine finally ran fine.

Opportunity to find something new. I have not had a good relationship with the Sbach or the spitfire. I don't want another Edge/Cap/Sukhoi stunt plane. I don't want an Ultrastick while my Stik is still flying fine. Not sure what I will do. For now she is on the Morgue Bench and we will strip her for parts.



I was putting batteries into the Trex 600e Pro, but the gusts were aggressive and I was no longer in the mood for excitement, so I decided that waiting was the better part of valor, the better part for which I live to fly another day.

No comments :

Post a Comment