The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

History will not repeat itself...


My luck with the Phoenix Spitfire has been dismal. First one nipped a tree on its maiden after luring me with its ease and beauty of flight. Took me a couple of years to get over that. The second one I killed shortly after takeoff most likely a stall, possibly related to a radio issue (yeah, I stalled it, blinking receiver light be damned). After the second one I considered myself cursed as far as Spitfires are concerned and swore to never buy/build another. Loosing one after another on maiden flights was too much for a man to bear.

Well, today I have done a thing, and I cannot undo it. I ordered another one, the same one, from Tower Hobbies, the Phoenix Models Spitfire. How can I not? I kindled two airplanes lately, so need a replacement, and this is such a beautiful machine and model! Credit is a terrible thing for an addiction... I also picked up a new pair of the servoless retracts from Hobby King I have used twice before. I like these. I have to modify the wheel wells a bit, but this time I am going to let them stick out rather than chisel down the hardpoint. I looked at using the mechanical retracts and a retract servo, but have heard nothing but trouble from these: the servo from Hitec, my favorite servo company, is a full 180 degree non-limitable servo, so not sure that would even work and it has a poor reputation. The other is a Spektrum retract servo that is adjustable, but has barely a better reputation and is NIS until next month. Screw it, went with the electric servoless ones. The other electronics and servos will come from the dead brethren.

I have two engines for it. The one that has been a pain in my ass is the Evolution 10cc, that first "flew" in the second doomed Spitty. Not comfortable putting it in the new Spitty given the recent trials I have had with it, even though it was once again running great the day of the crash; it still has the stink of the second Spitfire crash on it. The other engine is the RCGF-USA 10cc that was on the Stik. It took quite the header last week in the destruction of the Stik, so I don't know if it will even work, if the shaft isn't somehow damaged. But I think that is the one I am going with, its a better and more reliable engine, has the power, and doesn't have that torpedo muffler coming out of it.


I think too I will build it with a 14x8 Master Airscrew Scimitar blade, rather than a 3 blade, just to get things right. On the ground statically the Spitfire looks wrong with a 2 blade, but its in the air performance I want, may go to a Master Airscrew 13x8x3 later.

So I am excited and look forward to the third attempt!

No comments :

Post a Comment