The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Blown bearing!


I've never blown a bearing before, but I shredded the lower motor bearing today on the Trex 600e FBL. It's been making noise since the hard landing, and it was bad today when I spun it up to test the new tail blades, so I checked it out. I suspect it's because one of the two motor plate screws came off the right side at some point and were lost, so the motor was not secure.  I didn't notice this until I was removing the bearing plate. I had to chisel the outer frame of the bearing from the plate and it took some work to get the inner run off the the motor shaft; had to pop the pinion off to get the remnant off. Ordered some 6x12x4 metal shielded bearings to replace it, didn't have one in stock. Took the opportunity to oil up the Scorpion motor bearing. Replaced and re-Locktited the motor based screws. A few screws were missing on the right side of the frame... checked all of them. I ordered the new bearings from Amazon, will be here in two days.



The bottom of the main gear should not have been rubbing on the torque tube power takeoff gear, so I rechecked the location of the washers on the manual. I was surprised to learn that the 0.3mm and 0.5mm washers are put together, and that they go  under the main shaft stop over the top main shaft bearing. This lifts the entire mechanism and will make the main gear and the power takeoff gear clear. I had them together but on the top of the main gear hub, immediately under the lower main shaft bearing plate. To remind me I put them on the shaft over the clothespin.

I found that the top of the main gear metal hub was rubbing the underside of the lower main shaft bearing plate. There was some metal stripping off the top of the main gear hub. Not sure what's up with that. Was it not seated properly because the washers were in the wrong place? I hope so.

 

UPDATE: Replaced the bearing, hover tested, perfect. Quiet, smooth, balanced, ready to fly again!



No comments :

Post a Comment