The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Heli magic, Pulse XT60 Noise



Gnarly skies, but no wind to speak of!



Brought out the HK500 FBL and flew two wondrous packs! 



She flew wonderfully. I gained confidence and felt in control. A couple of errors were quickly recovered from, flew nose in and landed, took off again, never out of control. I really enjoyed it! Was ready to fly some more, but some others showed up and I don't really feel comfortable with others watching. I am going to get the other helis set up on the iX12 and focused on flying them,  and more sim time!



The Pulse started fine, but for a couple of times would slow and quit at WOT after a minute. This stopped. On the ground she is pretty smooth, a little 4-cycling. Up in the air she flies well, but gets really noisy with sputtering and the occasional backfire at WOT. I don't know why this happens. It's weird, but she otherwise works great. I have taken to flying 40:1 because of the oil spitting, mostly in the 10cc's. I don't think it will make a diff, but I am going back to 30:1. I thought it might be rich, but the needle is cleaned out as much as is good, and I read 4-cycling isn't from being rich, and that a little is normal. I don't know how to fix it. I worry only because I don't want the engine to be damaged, especially the occasional backfire pops which scare me. Have to wait to test it.

Oh, this pic. Not a crash. Landed fine, taxing in, made a turn, and all the sudden she dropped on her knees. The hardpoint delaminated, and just came off. 



It was in one solid piece, it didn't break. No damage to the plane. The front tabs were stuck in the fuse, the back one's came out clean. 30 min epoxy, tapped into place snug, then clamped.



For good measure I counter-sunk a couple screws forward, one aft. 
Should be good and sound! 

No comments :

Post a Comment