The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rebuilding Cornell, what, um, #5?

Today I restructured the internal main spar of the wing and a part near the trailing edge at the fuse, strengthening them and then recoting them. I forgot to take pics, but it was pretty straightforward. I had to remove cote and sand away the field repair I had done, then run some popsicle stick across the section between the wing stringers. Came out pretty good, actually! I also recoted the area around the wheel well I had to fix when a previous hard landing wrenched the gear. In reinstalling the gear I gave them a little more forward sweep to help with the tipping problem on landing.


Just to the right of the star is a long patch along a section, and then a small square at the leading edge all the way right.



New cote around the wheel on the left.



Forward sweep of the gear.



I did some repair work on the hatch, though I have a new one coming. I think I can actually get this one back up to speed. I fabricated a forward bulkhead as you can see, and CA'd some cracks. I will use some packing tape to seal over the cracks after sanding them, and the hole, then spray paint it gloss black.

I ended the evening with removing cote over the damaged sections of the fuse, including one contribution by a naughty, naughty cat, to expose the damage.


The fuse was fractured through and through here, where the crack is. I repositioned it and CA'd it, as well as associated cracks elsewhere along the fracture line. This is post CA.



The battery section and motor mount were sheared off, and I will be repairing them tomorrow. Here's the forward section of the fuse. 



The floor of the forward fuse is fractured. The front "wall" is broken.



Another view of the cracked bottom of the forward fuse.



The right horizontal stab, post a previous repair, cracked again.



The rudder is cracked at the lower opening of the cote, and the top is, well...



My darn cat must have chewed... I was looking at this wondering how the heck the damage got there from the crash when I realized this is a post-mortem injury! Damn it, Neko!  Its a good thing you're cute....

So I will make these repairs and start on the battery box/motor mount.



No comments :

Post a Comment