The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Love in an elevator

The Stearman got a few work overs today. The wing tab on the right was a bit long with all the CA repairs and the wing wasn't fitting snug. I had been looking for an excuse to redo the tab, so today I snapped it off, Dremel sanded a 45 degree slant on the wing side and an opposing one on the tab, and CA'd them in place. I also shortened it a mm or so. Fits very snug now. I was doing this before heading out to the field so I was rushed and realize I didn't take any pics. I started this afternoon working on the right horizontal stab and elevator. In cartwheel landings it tends to take a hit, and is cracked with a subtle but clearly evident flex. I opened the cote and CA's the cracks, and added an angled cross spar. Does the job perfectly. Re-coted and done. She flew marvelously today with these two repairs. Landings were sweet, even in a light crosswind.


The cote removed. The screw point at the cracked sections.



Match stick wood spar CA'd in place. Re-coted and looks as good as new!

No comments :

Post a Comment