The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

That sound is ice settling in Hell...Cubby Flys!

Yesterday I took the slightly modified and majorly repaired Suicidal Cubby out to fly at BMF, and after a crazy takeoff and some crazy "flying" she buried herself in one of the Rec Dept's dirt piles. So I brought her home, blew the dirt out and cleaned the motor with an alcohol bath, and rebuilt the minor damage. I also decided to cut a slice in the fuse and wedge some styrofoam in there to wedge the tail into a higher position lessening the tail feather angle of attack. Today I took her back to BMF for another go at it.

Well I'll be damned... Hell froze over, though from the temps you wouldn't know it! It took some minor adjustments on the motor thrust vector and a replaced tail wheel after it jumped ship after aborted takeoffs, but she flew wonderfully after trimming out some serious nose diving! After the surgery I still needed full nose up trim, so I brought her in and mechanically set her up at servo 90 with a touch of up trim, and after that she flew wonderfully for several packs. She still ground handles like a herded cat; the secret to takeoff is a little power to get the tail up then punch it. One landing since there will be no rolling out, and a walk to get her off the runway so land her close. But in the air she flew straight and narrow hands off! I am back in love with her!


The surgery begins with a lateral incision across the abdomen...



Sliced.



Wedgied. You can see the triangle of new stryofoam.



Another view of the foam wedge.



The highly modified Suicidal Cubby! The cowl was a mess, so I just trimmed it away leaving a band to secure the canopy that holds the wing. Heck, I may even put some new cote on her! Naw, she looks just like she should...

No comments :

Post a Comment