The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Eflite PT-17 Stearman PIREP

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways! This Stearman is a winner! And just like the Cornell, I suspect Eflite will cancel production some time soon since it is such a great plane (like they did with my favorite PT-19 Cornell...), so get them while you can!

CJ maidened her and we decided we needed even more weight in the front of the aircraft. She already has a boatload of Pinewood Derby lead plate in the nose, and we added a big hunk of lead that Ron gave me. That and setting her up with a little mechanical down elevator and she flies like a dream. She is quite heavy, and we didn't want to add anymore weight (I am flying her with a 3S 3000 mAh battery). If I can fly her she doesn't require any special skill, but I had to pay full attention to her. She is responsive to slight inputs and needs a kick of coordinated rudder in her turns. She rolls slowly and deliberately, but will loop tight over her own fuse. She is quick and agile, other than the tendency to roll slowly. She has some power, and is fast, but she is no speed demon. She glides well, and is a nice lander, but attention has to be paid to keeping her tail on the ground as she will flip over if you so much as burp. In two landings I had to walk out and turn her over both times.  I was psyched out a bit by how difficult the Phoenix version of this plane is to ground handle and how it glides like a rock, but the real Eflite Stearman had neither problem and was a pleasure to drive around on the ground and to fly! I taco'd the other 3S 3000 mAh battery when I stubbed the Cornell, so our flying was limited to 3 flights, but there is no doubt she is a winner! She is so much fun, and few planes look or sound as good flying by! She is definitely on my favorite plane list! Love her!

No comments :

Post a Comment