The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, June 3, 2011

My little patch of heaven...

If it just wasn't as hot as hell... Temps in the 90's lead to heat index temps in the low 100's. We watched water evaporate from our bottles before we could drink it. I had to change the stock prop on the 450 as it go too soft to provide adequate thrust! But what a day. The only clouds were on the horizon, a light haze that could make it hard to see a plane way up and out. The winds were fairly calm and when they blew they were kind enough to blow straight down the runway for a sweet 18 final. We had a good crowd, and everyone flew again and again and again! Joe solo'd (YAY!), we had Kenny and Dave up on the trainers. The carnage was limited to one plane... My damn cubby.

What is it with that plane anyway? At least she didn't woo me with several packs of good times before killing herself. I had her rebuilt for the billionth time, and she took off sharp and sweet, flew some aerobatics, behaved wonderfully, then after 10 minutes, coming in over the road at the north end of the runway, I pulled power back from 1/4 to off to land and she nose dived before I could spit, slamming into the road. Everyone at BMF is getting used to it: she flies great and ends with a bang. I am almost done playing this game with her... really. She snapped her canopy apart, cracked her wing (which is getting more swept back, which likely worsens her already crappy stall characteristics), and that right aileron eventually came off. Oh, and I found out I can actually snap off the motor shaft... So it will be a while before I have her flight ready as I am waiting for another canopy, but I think that's it. When I run out of parts, we are done playing this insane obsessive game. Or so I say now...

I finally solo'd the MX2, after CJ put her through a thorough run, and she is growing on me. She requires a bit more skill than I have now, so I have to be careful. I can only fly her when my wife lets me borrow her crossover as she won't fit in the Lexus. CJ also maidened the Eflite PT-17 Stearman for me, and I solo'd her too! All in all a great day of flying for me, rounded out by over a dozen flights on the Alpha Sport 450! You can read the brief PIREPS on these planes, the MX2 here and the PT-17 here! I was in my little piece of heaven... loved every minute of it! This club is the best thing I have done for myself, ever...



Ron provided lunch! Some really quite good baked chicken with spices ala Ron, and rice with gravy! Lemon cake for dessert. Hit the spot just fine, thank you!



Ron in his little element!  Smart man, our Ron.



CJ, sleepless in Gulfport. Worked all night in Louisiana, drove straight from work and flew like an ace all day!



The pit was busy!



CJ flying his clone (I think EXI?) 450. He has flown planks since he was 11 years old, but took up heli's only a few months ago. To watch him you would think he has flown helis his entire life... makes me want to puke.



Taking a moment from his 3D to let me get a shot. Makes me want to puke...



Our man Devin with his Seagull Edge 540.

 

Me at the end of the day. So wiped I couldn't suck that gut in for the pic. Watching CJ fly and trying not to puke with envy.

Wonderful day full of firsts for all of us. So many have come so far during the short time I have been here, that I can only imagine how good we will all be in the times to come! I wasn't planning on coming out again tomorrow, but how can I resist my crack? (And how can I justify denying you my presence)?  See you all tomorrow, and probably Sunday too!

No comments :

Post a Comment