The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Armed Forces Retirement Home

The Armed Forces Retirement Home in Gulfport, Mississippi, invited members of MCRCC to visit and share our aircraft with the residents of the newly opened home. One of two AFRH (the other is in Washington, DC), ours was completely destroyed by Katrina. This recently completed facility is a beautiful building on an beautiful campus right on the Gulfcoast. We were excited to share with our vets and their dependents our wonderful hobby!

We were set up on the 1st floor (above the ground floor...) in a large room where residents could come by and visit with us to discuss our planes, marvel at the new technologies, and reminisce of their own flight adventures. From MCRCC we had Al Warburton, Jim Farned, Harold Morris, Richard Schwiger, and myself and from KAMS, Lee Carroll. Here are a few pics of our visit. I thought I had more of us in the pics!


Residents loved my HDX 500, my Walkera CB100, but most of all the tiny 3 channel coaxial heli's I brought. I flew the coaxials and some of the residents took a chance at the controls! Also in this pic are my mentally ill Cubby, my sacred lucky PT-17 Stearman. 



My MX2, and Al's Spacewalker and his new Yak.



The "Fern Gully Fairy" Heli, as one of the staff dubbed her with her blinking lights and twittery flight.



Lee Carrol's Fokker, Taylorcraft and Corsair.



Harold Morris's Randolph Scout.



Surely the showpiece, Jim Farned's "DJ Special". Wow...



Here's a piece of artistry as clever as it is beautiful. One of these cylinders is real, the others Jim fabricated. Can you tell which is the real one? 



Richard's beloved Parkzone Cubby!



Jim's Avenger and Corsair



Lee Carroll's Eflite Taylorcraft.



Al Warburton's Yak. Still shiny!



This sweet plane is Al's Spacewalker.




Richard Schweiger getting ready to put his Ultra Stick away.



We had a great time at AFRH. The staff and residents seemed to really enjoy it, and are planning a visit to our June 18th Fly-In! I am sure they will invite us back!



No comments :

Post a Comment