The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Working out the bugs

And there have been bugs...


Having gotten the settings on the RCGF-USA 26cc where they seem to want to be, she still runs a bit 4-cycling at WOT, but there is power aplenty and she runs o/w smooth, with a reliable and usable idle. Since I am going to check the balance on the Stik's prop I went ahead and checked this one, and lo, she needed some balancing. I suspect the painted tips have worn a bit. Not sure what difference is made, but I do think it is important.



As illustrated, possibly, here. I had read in an FB post about a plane lost due to vibrations in an unbalanced prop creating a signal that caused an un-commanded fixed roll to the site of the crash. I have had this problem with the Stik where at WOT her ailerons would become possessed and endure paroxysms of movement, then locking in a hard roll, and once in flight one helluva snap roll had resulted. It only happens at WOT. I have put torrids on everything, changed the ignition, changed the servos, changed the servo leads from the receiver, and recently changed the receiver, but the problem remains. Having read this, I balanced the prop, and she did need a couple of micrograms of balancing. The prop is clean and properly balanced. Next time I take her out I will let you know how this works out.



They also mentioned heavily padding the receiver from vibrations, so I took my last piece of gel padding (I used to use this on heli gyros, not sure it helped), and placed it between the fuse and the receiver.


Suspended there.



Surrounded by a foam cover-all. This is about as isolated from vibration as I am going to be able to make it. All I need now is some cooperative weather.

No comments :

Post a Comment