The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

One thing leads to another... Sbach saga continues



I decided to clean the carb on the Evolution 10cc engine on the Sbach. I haven't been a fan of this engine, and from now on will be sticking with RCGF-USA. They discontinued this engine, and I can't even find parts. I wonder if the Evolution nitro carb would work? Well almost all of this was from inside the carb. I used Gumout and Duster Spray and blew everything out I could.



Putting it back together. I snagged one of the two tiny O-rings on the low needle. The engine runs, but the needle is a bit loose. I think it creates the resistance to turning once you set it but doesn't add too much leak protection.



As I was removing the carb I saw a crack in the fuse likely from the landing gear pulling back. I brought the edges together as best I could and installed an inside and outside patch. Re-coted.



The best I can do. I think at the beginning I flip the switch from landing idle up to approach then flight idle, and I think I reverse that at the end. She seems okay now.



The engine runs, a lot of oil spray still. It took a long time, and a change: I found the engine had better curve and idle response if I moved the throttle by hand. I changed the control arm to a longer one and this made finding the idle around the stock needle settings (about 5-1/4 for low, and 2-1/2 for high) quick and easier. She seems to run up a bit smoother, has a fair WOT rpm, and comes back to a pretty steady low idle now. I put a drop of blue locker on top of the deep set low needle since it moves so easily with only one O-ring. 



I noticed as I cleaned that oil off that the top rudder hinge was severed. I had to replace all three CA hinges and installed instead these Du-Bro plastic hinges. I used a little red grease to keep the epoxy off them on installation.




Dug out the old CA hinges on both sides.



A small touch of 30 min epoxy at the outer edges. Press them in, and wipe off the extra as I get 3/4 of the way in.



The rudder control wires and the bottom tended to pull the top back, so some rubber bands to stop the foolishness. Of course I skipped the cursing, gnashing of teeth, etc, that comes despite perfect dry fitting, once you get the epoxy on, and putting the sides back together requires a deal with the devil. As always, took a lot longer than it should have.



I am so tired of this engine. I put the cowl on, because if it doesn't run after this I'm not tinkering with it at the field, and possibly never again.



I also found a crack running along the base of the canopy just before putting her up on the wall. The canopy had fallen off the bench. Some CA on the inside. 
One thing just leads to another...

On the wall, may take her out next time I fly and see what happens. 

Looking for a replacement carb that has that funky white collar that connects it to the crankcase, at the very least a couple of tiny 5mm-7mm O-rings.


No comments :

Post a Comment