The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, May 22, 2020

iX12 Power Hobby Skinned

I like color, and I wanted a yellow or green iX12, but by the time I got around to buying one the red and black were all that were offered. I had seen these Spektrum transmitter skins from Power Hobby before, but my Gen 1 DX8 wasn't supported. A few days ago I saw a post about them and I thought about them again. I went looking for one for my iX12. I picked out this one, the Power Hobby Red Honeycomb Spektrum iX12 skin. They have several different  designs for several transmitters, check the iX12 ones out.



They are a soft vinyl sticker, thick and sturdy, quite sticky, but easier to handle than I feared. It came in a nice cardboard protector. No instructions, but it was fairly self evident. I wasn't sure about the two narrow pieces on the sides at the "handles", but found they fit nicely along the sides of the rise around the button and strap holder. I especially liked the corner cuts around the screen.  Step by step, below:



They are thick enough that they are easy to handle, and to keep from sticking to each other. They are an amazingly good fit. The only two I had trouble with was the iX12 logo at the top, it was just a hair big and I damaged it trying to Xacto the edge, and the red one around the upper right switches, it didn't want to lay right and I think I had stretched it a little placing it. I managed to smooth it out. I used a Q-tip swab, and a spilt coffee stirrer stick, to push it into place and set it. Xacto a little along the left rubber handle. When I was done I hit it lightly with a heat gun, careful, it melts fast, but tucked in nicely!





It looks nice! It's not going to look painted, but it comes pretty darn close. I am impressed how snug the tolerances. I am pleased with it! I plan to fill in any gaps in dark with a Sharpe. I like the splash of color and pattern! I recommend trying them out at this great price!

No comments :

Post a Comment