The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

A Magnificent Day with My Flying Machines!



Heading out with my trustworthy aircraft with the intent to fly and not fiddle! And this plan survived the day, perfect flying and no damage at all!



The Twinstar with her new shoes. I am not so sure the small front gear will tolerate the clumpy grass...



She does look good though!



Yeah, it took a beating. I had to find the thinnest part of the grass to get her able to attain Vr, as otherwise she was just driving through cutting the grass; too tall and too clumpy. This is 3 mm rod without a spring. I don't think it is a good idea to keep this small gear on here. I would like a shock absorbing gear like the back two. Need to see what I have. The new Du-bro steerable front gear arrive, and its the thicker 5/16" wire, too big, but probably what this will need. Even with the original single coiled spring gear it wasn't sturdy enough and was constantly bent back and to the side. She does need the thicker wire. Set her aside for now. She is covered in thick grass spray.



Just like watching her spool down.



The Stik and her RCGF 10cc gas engine wanted to play the fool with initial idle issues, but a small tweak to richer was all it took. She is fast and flies so amazingly well. Despite that as the wind conditions changed a bit and the rollers at either end of the runway started to enter the approaches, it took some convincing to get her down. Love this plane!


Idling well, ran great! A bit noisy under stress in the air (4-cycles a bit), but powerful and dependable.



The Sukhoi with her RCGF 10cc. This is my best running 10cc, the others being the one on the Stik, also an RCGF, and the cantankerous Evolution 10 cc on the Sbach. This plane is a bit of a pig, nice but not great speed, and she can't vertical long at all. I wonder if I should just use that new 2 blade I got for the Sbach with its Evo? Hmmm... I think I will give that a try. This plane really needs a 15-20cc engine. That cowl just creates a lot of drag. The landing gear are a bit soft, even with perfect landings a slight bump in the grass causes a prop strike enough to stop the engine, and they bow a lot on landing. They are only 3.5 mm thick. I saw a nice more Sukhoi like rounded CF set on Amazon that will fit, and I may commit to using that.



Sweetness. 



Again, just because I love this idle!!!!  Right after a 20 min flight, with another 10-15 min in the tank!

No comments :

Post a Comment