The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Working, not working

I am sitting here in the Urgent Care clinic in which I work, but it has been dead slow as people wisely are staying home unless something is really going on with them, so I am at work, but not working much. Goes to show that most really don't need to be seen on regular days, let alone during the COVID-19 pandemic. That means I have too much time on my hands to think about RC and projects, and buying RC stuff online.


The other day I stalled the Sbach a foot off the ground and tore off the landing gear. This was after hours of trying to get the lousy Evolution 10cc gasser to idle at all, let alone well. She has, I believe, a 13x8x3 blade Master Airscrew on her. She doesn't have a lot of power, I think due to low compression on the Evo engine (it is the loosest engine), but that is a big prop for it, rated max 13 x 8 dual blade. So today I bought an 11 x 8 x3 and a 12x8 Scimitar from my favorite prop maker, Master Airscrew.  I have played with using a 2 blad prop before and think she likes it better. The idle was finally working, and she flew fine, I just underestimated the crosswind-headwind and she suddenly stopped flying.  At any rate, I am hoping to be able to put a smaller prop on, see how she runs, and if all goes well, fly her and put her cowl on.  The vortex generators worked: she didn't tip stall which would have made a mess, instead just tipped over on her nose and snapped off the gear. Sweet.

I have to get my other big gassers up and running: they run perfectly, and I live for the day I can go to the field, fire up a plane and just fly... not spend time tuning the damn thing. It's these little 10cc engines that are such a PITA, though I don't have these problems often with the RCGF ones. I am sticking to RCGF-USA engines from now on.



There wasn't much damage. The hardpoint ripped out, broke the cote and one stringer, took less than an hour to fix. I REALLY strengthened it this time, so if it comes off the entire front of the plane is coming off. I added some plywood stringers in the hardpoint attachement area, epoxied the shit out of it (I am afraid to turn it over and see where the run-off went), and put several heavy duty screws into the wood. I am also going to put a cross truss in that space behind the hardplate to reduce any fuselage compression and torsion behind the hardpoint. This is one stiff landing gear now.



On inspecting the Sbach I noted that the small hole that the original tail gear goes through the carbon fiber hard point was open a bit in the back and the tail gear "axle" was tilting back. It needed to be replaced. It was a standard tail wheel with a metal rod attached to the rudder to turn it. I had this nylon one in hand, and it actually seems a better fit. Found a couple of appropriately stiff springs and McGyvered this. Works well!



The RCGF 26cc ran like crap. Last time I flew her, a week ago, she ran great, some 4 cycling in the mid-range, but it was mild, idled wonderfully, great smooth WOT. This time she ran fine, but 4 cycled constantly, jerking and popping like a hip-hopper. I pulled the silencers, and that didn't change it, so I put them back on (they really make a difference). I had found that the muffler had come un-attached, and had fixed that, but that was before this problem. I plan to take the engine off, clean the carb, the spark (maybe replace it)  and retune it. If that doesn't work I do have another 30cc sized CDI that I can replace it with (don't know why I have it, I assume it's fine).  This engine was running fine. I suspect an air leak somewhere or a dirty carb/spark.



I got Joe Nelson of RCGF-USA to send me some more RCGF Stickers when I ordered my replacement 10cc ignition. I LOVE this design, and can't get enough of these!

I am off tonight and plan to get the work done on the Sbach, but the new props won't be in for a few days (maybe I have one in stock). I want to start taking the 26cc apart too. And I guess I have to spend some time with the wife... :-) I am off tomorrow and plan to fly something.




No comments :

Post a Comment