The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, April 3, 2020

Reciever or Transmitter not seeing Dual Rates on Dual Elevators



Here's a new trick! I was setting up a new AR8010T on the Sbach with dual elevators on my iX12. The radio is set up as "Dual Elevator - Single Rudder", and they both respond without a mix to the elevator stick. This looked fine, but then I set up the dual rates/expo, the RT elevator (on the ELV channel) responds appropriately to the dual rate set, but the LT elevator (on Aux2 channel) acts like a toddler totally unaware of the dual rate changes.

Is this a setting problem? I worked for over an hour trying to come up with a solution even mixes, including switching to "Single Elevator -  Single Rudder". Nothing works. Next day off I am going to start over with a fresh New Model in the radio and see what happens. If that doesn't work, it's up to the advice on the interwebs, and a call to Horizon Hobby.

Very curious, indeed.

UPDATE 1:  Well, I figured it out. But it shouldn't have to be done this way.  I should be able to set DUAL ELEVATOR-SINGLE RUDDER in the Wing Type Menu and that should  mix AUX2 to the ELV(RELV), just like setting DUAL AILERONS makes AUX2 the Left Aileron, but that wasn't working. I decided to look back at my DX8 and the settings it has becasue it's also DUAL ELEVATOR. I knew it was a mix, as HH had helped me set that up a few years ago. It is set at DUAL ELEVATOR for Tail Type. One thing I realized is that the RATE was at 100%/100%. Oops... Was that it? On one of my trials I set them that way on the iX12,  but there must have been some other setting wrong. So I went back to the iX12 and short story, it works! I don't care why, but it works.

Here's what I did.
1. In MODE SETUP Set the WING TYPE to DUAL ELEVATOR -  SINGLE RUDDER
- This allows me to subtrim the left elevator separately
2. In MODEL SETUP, go to CHANNEL ASSIGN, and make sure AUX2 is INHIBIT.
3. Go to MODEL ADJUST and select MIX1.  I mixed ELV > AUX2, Rate 100%, Trim On, Switch ON

Voila. That was it. Why this didn't work before I have no idea. But it works now.

UPDATE 2:  After I told Adam Maas on he FB iX12 Owners Group a few details and my wondering about the LEL and how to get it to talk to AUX2, he realized my problem.

"That's your problem there. You're running your elevator on AUX2, not on LEL.The rates are applied in the Elevator function, not to the Elevator Stick.

Go to System Setup->Channel Assign->RX Port Assignment and change whichever channel has AUX2 to have LEL.

The RX Port Assignment menu tells you which receiver ports are assigned to which function and lets you shuffle them."

So I went, made a copy, and in that copy removed the mix, and instead did the port reassingment, and that was all it took. Done!


No comments :

Post a Comment