The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Beautiful day, same problems...

Such a beautiful day, and only 4 people out at the field all day!



The Twinstar flew marvelously with her new Master Airscrew 8x6x3 props. Her nose fear has always been wonky in the grass, and the beating made it come loose from its turn control arm, ending its flight day after two batteries. I have toyed with the idea of putting ole gear on her... Fund flights!

I didn't take any pics of the Sbach, but she made an appearance.  Despite running great here at the house, and when I started and ran her up, then flew her, she suddenly dead stocked again on approach. I got her down, and in an hour of trying could not get a nice clean reliable idle.i tried super lean, super rich an everything in between.

She threw a lot of oil a fresh gallon today I put 3.2oz in a gallon for a 40:1and she was still covered with a ton of oil, thickly. 



The MX-Bach did what the Sbach did. Despite running awesome at home, at the field she would idle for a minute or two then suddenly stop. No slowing  just suddenly stop.  Though she often did slow her RPms in two steps then stop. I had to set the end point for a rather fast idle. 


Even with a slower landing idle she was too fast, even with full flaps. I went to hit the kill a foot above the ground and when I did I accidentally pulled back on the elevator and she floated to there feet and stalled. Only damage was the gear snapped off just above the wheel.

I mentioned the fuel mix above at 40:1. I threw another 1/3 gallon of 93 octane in the can, and will see how a more dilute mix works out. There is something I am doing that is not letting these engines idle well. There is something I am doing wrong,



No comments :

Post a Comment