The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Replacing a Spektrum Satellite Reciever Antenna


I had snapped off the functional exposed end of a Spektrum satellite antenna, and I didn't want to buy a new one if all I needed was a replacment. Surely someone makes a replacment. This wasn't the first, not likely to be the last time I break one. So I went online and found a lot of single antenna for the price for which I got 20 for. The attachment looked right. What the heck, I ordered them. As with Amazon, even not Prime, it got here quick. I went and did the repair today.



These ar the ones I got, $12 shipped.




The case opened easily, two tiny screws on one end, clamshelled open. You can see that the antenna is missing the thinner piece.



The antenna easily unsnaps and comes out with the guard which is not rigidly attached. Its held in place with the case, no glue or snapping in. This slips right off.



You can see here that the attachments are different sizes but the same design, the new one being smaller. Turns out the difference is the original big one snaps over the outside of the circuit board connector, and the smaller new one snaps inside that connector. Coaxial connection just the same.



The new antenna is longer. You can trim this down if you want, just make sure that the exposed functional inner antenna is at least 3.2 cm long for 2.4ghz. Place the guard on the new antenna, snap it in, reattach the case and that's it!



The black radio opaque covered part of the antenna is not active, and I wanted to protect the attached end, so I used shrink tube. I decided to keep the antenna long.




I installed it back to the reciever and it bound to the transmitter with a nice solid orange light without rebindibg! Done!

No comments :

Post a Comment