The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Now THAT is a great flying day!


Beautiful weather, got some flying in today. I brought out the MX-Bach RCGF-USA 30cc newly sorted out, and the Stik with its cranky RCGF-USA 10cc.



Given the large openings in the cowl, I used a piece of filter material and created a flap of it over the intake of the carb. Works perfectly, allowing full movement of the choke, yet pretty much covering the entire intake. Between the back facing intake and this thick piece of filter, I think we got most crap covered.



It always something... The tail wheel lost its turning lever so it's castering about. Worked fine, in fact, not in any hurry to fix it.



Preflight.



Curiously off center pic...  She flew AMAZING. Started right up, no tuning, and flew with some incredible power. While stable, in turns she requires your full attention and a little opposite rudder or she drops like a stone. But boy, can she maneuver and haul butt! She sounds amazing! The landing gear held up nicely.



The video saved in some crappy format, sorry for the poor quality.




For scale. She is a big, big plane. Flew her for a full tank then took the Stik back up. You know that feeling you get just before you break your leg in that "just one more ski run and we'll call it a day" ? I got that when I thought about ending my day with another tank, so I called it quits.



I actually started with the Stik. Not to disappoint, she took 10-15 minutes to sweeten her tune, but then she flew perfectly. One foray into the weeds when she would not veer right on takeoff and didn't have enough to climb over the weeds, but other than that, she flew wonderfully. She still has this rare habit of quitting at idle for no apparent reason, no stuttering, slowing just stops. Came in for a landing, taxied back round for another take off, paused and she quit. Started right up and acted like nothing happened. I flew a couple of tanks in her. Stupendous!



Right after she stopped. Was about to film how sweet she sounded...



One of the two reasons I don't fly bigger than 30cc. Its the biggest that will fit in my car, and the cost is at my upper end of willingness to spend. 



At some point during the drive over I poked a hole in the right horizontal stab, used "field cote" to cover it, repaired it when I got home. 

Nice to have a very successful day flying. Went with two, came back with two, and nobody took all day to run right!

No comments :

Post a Comment