The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Vortex Generators

The wings on the MX-Bach are Sbach 342 wings. The inside wing tends to tip stall on approaches if one is at all slow coming in and turns sharp to final; straight in not so much a problem. A couple of runways I land on require a tight turn to final, so this happens a lot with this plane.

I was aware of vortex generators and how they curiously maintain laminar flow below stall, and I know that some RC aircraft have them, but I didn't know if they actually worked. A while back someone on the Southern NH Flying Eagles FB page posted a video on full scale use of VGs and a post on how someone had done them on larger scale RC aircraft using styrene L angles. There is a nice run of posts on RC Forums, including this one. Then I found this and I figured, why not see what happens!







L Angle Styrene, forget where I got it, not one of my usual RC sources.



Placed them along the 1st third of the curved chord, and decided 1.5 inch from the outer edge. I placed each pair 3/4 of an inch from one another, and 1 inch between pairs. Entirely arbitrarily placed, other than the 1/3 of the curved chord, which was the recommendation in the posts.



Each one of these is a VG, I just liked the way they look in pairs, and wanted to concentrate on the tips. I used Beacon 3-in-1 craft glue for the adhesive. Simple, strong, easy to place.

Someday soon I will see what happens with them in place!

No comments :

Post a Comment