The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Frankeheli Update

Frankenheli has proven to be one challenge after another. Each step has met me with obstacles I had to overcome, making this a slow build. Today two issues arose. One was the the very small Tower Pro SG90 cheapo servos I am using (really, I was trying to be cheap. I will replace them first opportunity with EXI metal gear servos) didn't fit well in the servo holes in the frame. Off by a enough molecules I had to file down the frame a smidge. Then they worked fine. Boy are they small... Should have just gone with the EXI ones.

I decided that when the receiv comes I'll install it in the main fram tray. Yhe ESC went on the front tray. I thought abut putting the receiver heree Align put theirs, under the battery, but didn't want to deal with the gryo wires being too short to reach. BTW, turns out Frankenheli's frame is a 450 SE (V2).

The second issue was that the main rotor shaft, which fit fine before, all of the sudden didn't. I struggled with it for ma while before I popped the bearings out. i found another rotor shaft in my spares box that fit, from the same bstch. But it was tight, worse with lube. It just won't fit smoothly, and sticks when it does. I remeoved the bearings again and am soaking them ipn silicone lube, hoping it will clean any corrosion that may be causing problems, and I lightly sanded the shaft. I also don't know if it needs a washer, or the original collar, as I think the shaft is not percisley the same as the one it replaced. Not a big deal if the bearings weren't sticking...

No comments :

Post a Comment