The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

FRICKFRACKINFRICKINPIECEOFFRICKFRACKFRICKENFRACK !!?$#@*!#!

(Deep cleansing breath...let it out slowly...)

The Wall of Shame

The Three canopy-less helis, my EXI 450, my ERazor 450, and today, my CopterX 250, all in the hurt locker for the same damn thing... Bent main rotor systems. Though the 250 got off light with just a bent feathering shaft...

I re-examined the gyro and tail setup on the bench this afternoon, then took the 250 to the driveway for a spin up having tightened up the tail rotor drive belt. The torque yaw was still there. Kids were getting off the bus, so I moved to the back yard not wanting to end up on the headlines for maiming them. I decided to reverse the gyro just to see if I was mistaken. Well, I wasn't until I reversed the gyro. The thing super spun to the left (tail right) so fast it ground looped, hit TH, but it was clear there was carnage. Inspection revealed a badly bent feathering shaft. Took the rotor grips off and checked the main shaft, and its okay, as is the rest of the cage. Helidirect gets more of my money. Good thing I like them...

I took another look at the tail assembly. I noticed that the belt gear spins freely on its shaft; there is no catch or anything, likes it free wheeling. Well, not like it is, it is. Both directions. That can't be right... I check my other helis and they are not. Could this be my problem? I added tail shaft rotor to my Helidirect order and will just replace it. It was this way when I got it... curious what I will find when I get it taken apart.

Well those who can't fly build. Time to start on Frankenheli 450!

To make me feel better I comforted my kitten by napping with her. She had her routine well check exam today, shots and a q-tip up her butt to check for parasites. Seems both of us got it up the ass today :-P

5 comments :

  1. lol about getting it up your ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up the ass hahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense, Ken, but have you thought about something else that you can control a little easier, like say, a cue ball? There is a lot to be said for making that little white ball go/stop/rebound exactly the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al... sounds like golf, with which I also have a love/hate relationship :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great wall from here, you can't see the bent stuff. :-)
    I read on a forum last night as I was doing research on setting the gyros on my 180Z that moving the controls while on the ground screws up the gyros as you lift off. They said it is best to let it lift off before moving the controls. Food for thought. I still got some work to do before I try the ERazor again. I noticed that it wanted to lift the left skid off and try to roll to the right. Got some trim work here to do and still playing with throttle and pitch curves. Darn that rotor head is moving fast and I hate waiting for parts. Meantime got my fix from the 180Q. Keep up the good work, learning from your experiences is saving me time and money.

    ReplyDelete