The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

All came home

Sunday's are quiet at Wagner Field on top of Mt Hudson, and today was no exception. Though today I met Clarence White, a core club member and groundskeeper. I had a pleasant visit, but by the time I had arrived he was closing up having been at the field since 8am. It was foggy when he arrived, which is why I didn't come out until around 11. He watched me fly a bit, then headed home.

The air was dead calm, warm and a bit humid, and when there was a light breeze it was a crosswind easily managed. I have been planning to bring the Waco 26cc out, but feel I want some more stick time before I fly my favorite plane again, and today is Patriots Game Day, had to be home by 1. It was gorgeous out... it would have been perfect for the Waco first flight of the year.


I started with the recently repaired HK Sbach. I had recently rebuilt the hard point for the landing gear, and she held together well in a few light crosswind landings. I flew one pack at the beginning and the end of my day. She flew perfectly, and I dialed in my DR and Expos, and flew her with the HK Orange 3 Axis on and off.  Truly easy and enjoyable aerobat!



I hadn't even run the engine this year on my Sukhoi SU-26 10cc, but she started up, and with a little idle servo end point tuning, ran and flew flawlessly. She also has a HK Orange 3axis reciver, and I flew her with it on and off, practiced approaches in calm and light crosswinds. I flew 3 20 min tanks flawlessly. I had to figure out how to bring her down very soft, and raise the throttle a touch; she would often quit on touchdown. I brought the gear a bit closer together raising the prop up a touch, and worked the throttle, kept a bit more speed on at approach and touchdown, and kept her running. Fun working this all out! These Orange 3axis stab systems work really well, easy to manage. My Spektrum Alpha6 systems remain troublesome... more on that later. Not a fan...


In the end, 1.5 hrs flying, everyone came home whole. Great day of flying!

No comments :

Post a Comment