The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Productive Day

The Sbach 10cc Evolution

The fuel nipple came in from Horizon Hobby, and a couple I ordered from Graves RC, and I installed it snug with a little red grease. Re-did the fuel lines and the leak is gone. I took her out to the garage having set up the carb needles at stock, Low 4.25 turns, Hi 2.5. She started right up, rich. For the next 2 hrs I was on my knees trying to find an idle that worked long enough to work the Low needle. I got the Low tuned, then the high, retuned the Low. I had to lean it in a bit, and leaned out the Hi a smidge.


How low can you go... my knees are killing me.



From the richer settings. I think she is leaned out a bit, but she throws a lot of oil.



This is pretty much how she is running. This was before I found the sweet spots, but pretty close.


The 450 Helis


I dusted off the EXI 450 FBL. She had issues with a severe oscillation, and I could never quite find the source. I went through the swash, and the tail. Snugged a few things, had to flip the tail blades I had installed upside down. I think there is an ever so slight hint of a wobble in the tail shaft, so I ordered a new one. Maybe that might be enough to cause an oscillation? I snugged up the main shaft collar, and then plugged in the XYZ FBL programmer and checked the settings. I am not sure why, and can't fix it, but I get +10 degrees, but only -6 degrees pitch. I have no idea why. I do see that at 0 pitch the swash arms are NOT level. I can't figure out how to get that level and have zero pitch, physically in the set up or in the software. I need to take a look at the length of the control arms, maybe they are too long? I have some work to do. The FBL software isn't the best, but it's all there is to program the XYZ 3 axis stab system. I need to look into that a bit. I haven't been super impressed by these stabilization systems, and they are pretty old. If I stick with the 450s I may need to look into replacements.

The HK450 Sport is collecting dust. It needs a few servos replaced, some new control arms. I am sure there are some other things wrong, it's been so long since I worked or flew it I have no idea.

No comments :

Post a Comment