The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Waco up!

I had problems with a bad Optical Engine Kill Switch on the RCGF 26cc equipped Phoenix Models Waco. On the field I had tested the circuits and found that the switch was bad. Taking it out of the circuit the engine and the engine ran fine. So I purchased a new Optical Switch. As I reconfirmed the issue on the workbench I found the ignition battery pack was shorted, and had to replace that. It came in yesterday, so I installed it, checked everything out, and found out the LED that was part of the original Optical switch was burned out. Did it short too? What the hell? I had to leave it in place because it was glued in, and had soldered a new plug in, cut the wires on the LED attached to the new switch and put a plug on there too. I ended up having to force the old LED out, and put in the new one I had just cut off the switch, repeating the solder work. Jeez...  This RCGF 26cc engine is one of the best running engines, and represents the brand well, and she has a sweet sound. She is happy again, and I am happy again.



Yay! New LED works! Thosre are the aileron leads hanging there, Y into the Stabilizer.



Everything tucked in and clean. The Waco is sporting a Hobby King Orange 3-Axis Airplane stabilization gyro there in the middle. I had bought the Spektrum Alpha 6 system that I could never get to program right (so I have two little Alpha 6 bricks), but this one is on a couple of my planes. The Spektrum Receiver is on the port wall across from the foam cover and its satellite is forward in a 90 degree orientation form the receiver. Underneath that is the gas tank and battery packs.



When I pulled out the old Optical Switch the VHB tape holding it in place pulled the wall of thick balsa behind it right out leaving a jagged hole in the balsa but the cote intact. It was right above the switches. I had to put a plate of balsa over it on the inside, leaving a funny dent in the cote. I ended up having to cut that cote out, filled in the space between the new piece of balsa and make it level with the surrounding original balsa, and re-cote it. To get this smooth took a couple of tries, but I got it. You can't see the seams unless up very close. I had to redo the switch labels. When I replaced the LED and housing just forward of that I reinforced the balsa skin and used the same outer hole in the fuse; the balsa patch actually holds the housing for the LED, neither of which I glued in this time. I put the black cote there to cover the edges of the hole and to contrast the switch for better visibility. All in all I am quite happy with it.  One of my favorite planes, I can't wait to get her in the air!

No comments :

Post a Comment