The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

RCGF 10cc Piston Ring

My oldest RCGF 10cc engine in the Stik had been acting the fool. I decided to clean out the cylinder and plug, rebuild the carb. It was an all day project. When I put it all back together I couldn't get it to run...  and I realized that the engine didn't have the compression on turn over that I was accustomed to. Something I did screwed it up. Its got spark, so ignition and plug are good. I decided to pick up a new piston ring and gaskets. I went cheap with Hobby King, after all they advertised as RCGF. They arrived from Hong Kong yesterday, and I tried to install the piston ring

It seemed to fit the cylinder. when I slipped it in off the piston. I have no experience with these, so I watched a few You Tube videos. I don't know how tight it should be, but it fit without a struggle. I cleaned out the piston ring slot, and easily got the ring on the piston. When I tried to get the piston and ring into the cylinder it would not go, no matter how much I worked it, nor how many times. I tried re-cleaning the ring groove to see if something was preventing it from sitting in full ring compression, and tried again. It went in too easily. I pulled it out and a piece of the ring was missing; it simply broke off.

I decided to get the parts from a real RCGF seller and went back to the gang at RCGFUSA.com. I ordered another set of gaskets and the cylinder ring. I put my order in this morning.

Here's why you buy quality from the dealer and not the reseller. This afternoon I got a personal call from Joe Nelson, the owner at RCGF USA as he had seen my order. He wondered what I was up to with a cylinder ring, wondering what had gone wrong with the engine, and he called me to see if he could help. THAT"S CUSTOMER SERVICE!  He told me that the counterfeit rings sold by Hobby King are often slightly off and that is why I had so much trouble with it. He is sending my order out today, with some of the new RCGF USA stickers. They will be here soon, coming out from Arizona instead of China.

I figure if this doesn't get the engine running I will send it out to RCGF USA and have no doubt they will get it fixed.




I fished out the broken ring from the crankcase and any metal shavings using a magnet.

More to follow!

No comments :

Post a Comment