The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cubby Rebuilt

You can read the story of loss and recovery of the Cubby here, but here's the rest of the story!


The wing took major damage. The huge chunk bashed in on the right leading edge I filled with piece of carved closed cell foam which I glued into place, covered with package tape, and then Ultracoted to cover and strengthen.



The wing was almost divided in half. I put a 6.5 in length of 1/4 inch dowel in the middle as a spar, then glued the halves together, and held them tight with package tape. I then Ultracoted the area for more strength and to improve the look.



The underside with the package tape.



Tried to save the battery. One cell was discharged to around 2V, the other 2 were below 2. I recovered 2 of the cells, but the third one would not take a charge, so I had to recycle the battery. I used my Skycharger out on the deck with the battery in a flowerpot in case it caught fire. Never seen a LiPo fire? Google it... quite impressive. 



And here's what she looked like in the driveway this afternoon! Took her to MCRCC Field, but it was too windy to fly... Maybe Friday!



The red stuff is th Ultracote plastic. Its the covering used when building or repairing balsa/plywood planes, goes nicely on foamies too.


Cubby back on the wall!

No comments :

Post a Comment