The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Yikes, a 9-1/2 lb baby...


I mentioned previously that the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc was quite tail heavy, and that test fitting the  455g (1 lb) lead block I happen to have from a dead Eflite Stearman of long ago balanced it out perfectly just forward of the CG, and I mean just forward. This is no child... its a manly block of lead. There isn't any room to put any lesser weight in the tank area.



I created a partial wall forward of the lead block to support it, with some lightweight plywood (thought I had a pic, but alas...). This is the block in place, the Dual-Lock Velcro is CAd in place on the base and the "back" against that wall. The foam is to add some compression when the wing is in place to dispel any notions it has about wandering about the cabin in flight.



The CG machine verifies my finger-tip test.



The CG is now spot on.

Concern is that her spec weight is 7 lbs, and she comes in at 9.5 lbs dry. I didn't see a different spec weight for electric vs gasser, and I have no doubt my Ugly Stick was heavier than spec too. This heavy-lift wing will undoubtedly be up to the job, but...  One thing of note, seen in this last pic, is the long length of those landing gear. Hope I don't see too much flex from the extra weight.

Planned to light the fires today, but its fixin' to storm.

No comments :

Post a Comment