The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Bad Cylinder Revisited

Joe Nelson of RCGF-USA had asked me to check the top of the piston on the RCGF 10cc engine I had reworked to fix a stripped spark plug hole, after it blew out. Was it soft metal, as we expected, or had the piston pounded it out? I was between bench jobs so I took the cylinder off.


Conveniently three of the hex top bolts holding the head in place stripped... so I had to grind them off then bang the head off (easy, killer...). 



The piston top is smooth, no evidence of it striking the adapter. There is some damage along the rim of the spark hole seen at about 12:30 on the right in the cylinder head that wasn't there when the adapter was installed.





I wanted to use a Walbro carb, the the reed plate bolt holes that secure the carb to the crankcase had stripped on one side. I figured why not retap it, and that worked. Snug, tight, not gorilla tight. This was a cantankerous carb. I oiled up the cylinder and put it in a plastic bag. When I can afford a new cylinder I will get one from Joe. I don't have a plane for her right now, though, but that, as we know, is never an obstacle. (I can't find a round cowl WWI plane, like a Sopwith Pup or Nieuport to put her in, my first choice. Second is the Phoenix Zero. My heart is on a WWI biplane...).

No comments :

Post a Comment