The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Good day, not as planned.

Headed out to SNHRCC in Hudson today with the 30cc MXS-R, the 10cc Stik and the newly rebuilt HK EPP Sbach. I started with the Sbach. She flew fine, but with the 3-Axis on it flew odd. A recheck of the settings mysteriously showed the aileron response on the stabilizer were backwards. I had tested it extensively when I set it up before bringing it out. This is quite odd. Set it right and really didn't notice a difference with it on.


I flew a couple of batteries. Even witth a little wind, she flew so much better than last time we came out here, stabilizer on or off.

I brought out the 10cc Stik. She had been nicely tuned, but for some reason she wasn't accelerating consistently.  She would quit on some run ups, or bog down. If I got her to run well, she stops when I pull the throttle back. To get that not to happen I have to set a high idle. I spent an hour on it and couldn't find a sweet spot. A guy named Ray (clearly a skilled builder and flier) was there and I asked him for help, He pretty much did what I did and couldn't get it to run right. He thinks the prop is too much. I have flown this prop before, and it ran fine. It also runs fine on the Sukhoi with the same engine (I checked). I wasn't going to fly her today. I decided to wrap it up for the day having wasted so much time. Ray and another guy were flying their Veloxities on the gas side and I didn't feel like asking them to go to the electric side so I could fly the 30cc.

I like 3 blades, not just for the look, but for the thrust. The loss of efficiency is insignificant compared to the increase in thrust, which is why full scale prop planes use as many blades as they can.



I drove by my new house in Chester. The closing is next week. It is on the way to Misfits in Auburn, so I thought I would stop there, then head over to Misfits.

I can't fly anything bigger than a park flyer at Misfits because I was by myself, and its too small for the 30cc anyway. I flew a couple more batteries in the SBach. I am sure there are occasional delays is response with this receiver. Since I am not really impressed with the 3-Axis system, I think I will just put a regular receiver on her. She was a lot of fun!


Headed home and took the 10cc Sukhoi out to the garage, and fired her up with her 3-blade 13x8x3 prop to see how she ran with the 3-blade. She ran fine. I changed the Stik's prop to a 2-blade 14x8. She ran pretty much the same as she did at the field. I still could not tune her. I took her to the bench, pulled the motor and cleaned the carb on both sides. The screen filter had a little dirt, but nothing amiss. I put it back on and started her, still can't get her to tune right. I gave up for the night. Since its not the prop I put the 3-blade back on, and will tune her with it on. I am at a loss. I may have to settle for having to set her up best I can and be careful making fast changes on throttle. I can find that spot, but will need to be ready to dead stick her. At some point I may send it to RCGF-USA to see if they can figure it out. There are a couple of things I can do still, clean the spark, change the carb flapper pump. I looked for the single needle carb, but I must have tossed it. I'll keep looking for that too.

No comments :

Post a Comment