The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Well, it's about time.

October 15, 2017.  That's when I bought my second Phoenix Models Spitfire 0.46-0.55.

The first build (part 1part 2 , part 3, part 4, part 5, part 6), was simple, with some serious time however, spent on getting the retracts right. The end was simple too... crashed on her maiden when she hit a tree during an otherwise perfect flight. That maiden and crash was in July 2016, and I took it hard. It took over a year for me to get over it, but I pulled the trigger during a Towers Hobbies sale in October 2017 on this second purchase. This model is such a great flier, I couldn't resist.  I got the 7 servos 5 days later. And for the next 492 days it sat at the end of the shelves in my workshop.

Excited by my recent success at getting the RCGF 10cc engine on the Stik to work again, and having the pain of the maiden-crash wane enough to allow me to want to try again, I opened the box with the box in it, and then unboxed the manual to review. Tomorrow I will start the build, and when the funds are available purchase the rest of the parts, including a RCGF 10cc gas engine. I am planning on using a Tech-Aero Ultra BEC (a nice design, UBEC and remote ignition cut out), and use a single Pulse 2S 5000 mAh LiPO as a receiver and ignition pack. I will use a single receiver switch and fuel port situated internally, and a Spektrum AR8010T 8 channel receiver. I may add a Hobby King Orange 3 axis stabilization system. Time and again impressed by simple setup and operation, and excellent functionmof the excellently priced, quality systems. I thought about using the Spektrum AS3X, but having had issues with the ill fated Spektrum Alpha 6 Stabilization System I trialed., and seeing lukewarm reviews with similar stories, I am not interested in using the 7 Channel AS3X system. I will be using Tactic TSX 47 Digital servos I purchased, and I happen to have the original servoless electric retracts from the original Spitfire that work fine. The powerplant will be a RCGF USA 10cc gas engine.

So, time to review my old build posts, and start collecting the parts. I plan to take this build slow and spread out the costs over the build weeks to come. Exciting!

No comments :

Post a Comment