The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Off to a slow start...

I started on the Spitfire, but wasn't very motivated to begin with. Curiously that was my mood when I started the first one three years ago.

I started on the left wing because it was on top in the box. First thing I noticed was that on that orignial build I had the servos for the left wing on the right wing and vice veraa. This put the control arm back on the wing instead of more centered, and I complained about short control arms not realizing until now what I had done!

I started off slow, not really into it, and took my time working through the usual build problems that occupy so much of our time and energy in a build, but that are the heart of why I enjoy builds: thinking problems through to a fairly good solution, making the least a messy effort as I can.


The box, with the decals on top createa a little excitment about finishing a beautiful model. Phoenix Models are always well boxed.



Like last time I used the CA hinges on the flap, and use Du-Bro small hinges on the aileron. What I noticed is how little support in the wing there is for the hinge.  Under the forward edge where the hinge slide in is about a 5mm wide bar, then the balsa skin. Most of the hinge is just hanging in the air inside there. I decided to epoxy the wing side to add support, and CA the flap side.



I felt last time that the control horns were a bit short, and found enough of these longer aluminum horns to use in all the wing servos. They are a bit bulky, but lite and sturdy. The Tactics us a Futaba spline and the horns are too. I think I had bought them for this purpose and forgotten about them.



Installed horn. This sucker is solid.



Used shrink to hold the internal plug of the aileron servo extension together.



The flap (left) and aileron (right) surfaces, servos and contol rods installed. I used the stock screws and back plate for the flap, instaled before I put the flap in, but on the aileron I started to, and really didn't want to deal with alignment of the screws and backplate, and then having to cut the really overly long screws. I always use CA to hold the control horn in place durimg installation, knowung its on the cote, and decided to use mid sized servo screws that don't come out the other side with CA. I am not sure I like this... there is a lot of load on the aileron horn. I may change to longer servo screws and see if they are long enough to backplate... we'll see. One problem I forsee is that the flaps and ailerons are goingnto be on a Y harness. This means I cannot sub trim them in the radio, and will need to made physical adjustments to get them equal in deflection. Small problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Slow start. But now I am super excited and can't wait to get back to work on it!

No comments :

Post a Comment