The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Stik still grounded. Flight Sim Updates

I have been leaving the RCGF 10cc engine on the Stik alone this winter, just not having the motivation with the cold, windy and snowy weather, to do anything about it.

I ruined it somehow...  It had been running fine, four cycling a lot despite good tuning and unable to extinguish it. I have since figured out that the RCGF ignition misses and that's why it was four cycling. I'll be replacing it, and am thinking about using an RCExcel ignition, or come other.

As described I took the engine apart to clean it and see if I could get it to run more cleanly. In the process I broke and then replaced the piston ring. I am confident the cylinder and spark are now fine. 

I also took apart and cleaned the carb. I flushed it, and it was pretty clean, the screen filter was clean. I changed all the gaskets. On the fuel diaphragm side I changed the metering diaphragm, and checked and cleaned the metering needle. I made sure that the metering lever was level with the top of the block. I put it all back together again. I am pretty sure I did this right, but this is one of the things I think is the major problem... the carb.

Today I rechecked the spark, and it's the same. I used a different Hall sensor, and it sparked the same, every few revs it misses, but it sparks.

I took it outside and tried starting it. I quickly noticed fuel spraying from the muffler. I drained the tank. I ran the starter and when it stopped spraying and then it coughed a couple of times! Clearly its super rich. Both needles are at 1-1/2 turns. This suggests something is wrong with the carb, likely the metering system.

I am going to give it one more shot, take apart and recheck the carb. If I can't get it running I am asking a gas skilled friend to take a look at it, and if he can't, then asking RCGF USA to fix it for a fee. I do plan to change the ignition, but I think something is wrong with the carb, and I should be able to fix rather than replace it.

 *****


Got some sim time in today. I learned that Phoenix Flight Sim ended with 5.5.1, and that the rumored Version 6 will not be coming out as the company has folded. This has been a great fight sim for me, and the free updates made it an incomparable bargain. 

Flying the sim made it clear that my skills have deteriorated over the winter of not flying. It didn't take long to get my fingers back, but I need to work the sim a lot more. I am flying off the Horizon Hobby Test Field. Flew planks and heli's today.

I am looking into getting the Horizon Hobby sponsored Real Flight simulator when I get some spending money. 

Flight sim time makes a difference!



No comments :

Post a Comment