The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

WEEEEEEE! YEAH. UPDATE THAT CRASH CLOCK, BABY!


Decided that since the winds were damn near dead calm, I would take the two 500's and the Pulse XT60 out. This would be the maiden for the Pulse.



For 20 min I tried to start her. Decided to take a break. Dammit.


     

Flew two packs on the HK 500 FBL. MUCH FUN!



Took the cowl off the Pulse and inspected the engine quickly identifying the cause. Throttle linkage lost its nut. Loose fit it, and she started right up.  Packed her up. I'll run home, fix her, and come back out.



Flew two more packs on the HK500 FBL! MORE FUN!



Drove home to fix the Pulse. 30 min one way... Decided to replace the wire holder gadget, with one with a good screw end. Washer, nut snugged, then a dot of solder using a soldering heat gun so both pieces were hot. Cooled, added a touch of super thin CA.






Pre-Maiden walk-around. The power of this thing!



She Fly! This is a powerful, wicked fast, awesome flier! Stable, predictable, unlimited vertical. She was a touch nose heavy, but o/w trimmed out nicely. Put her through her paces with a couple of tanks. I love this plane. One thing I was worried about happened. The 15x6 prop barely clears the ground with the tail down, and is way close with it up in level flight. On one of my touch and goes the prop touched and snapped. 



I decided to fly the heli again and at the end of the pack, flying low, I dumb thumbed a rotor strike and that was the end of that. All that power and energy had to go somewhere.








On the way home I picked up another Xoar 15x6, and this APC 15x6. I think the APC may be more likely to survive light prop strikes and stall the engine instead of snapping. I also added 10 gms to the tail, on top the the boatload  already there.

Tomorrow looks like an even better day to fly! I can't wait! I think I will take the Spitfire to maiden as well.



This going to sit here for a while. Rebuilding and setting these up is laborious, so I will need to have everything else done. I still have the two 600's. I wasn't able to fly the HDX 500 because I forgot it takes 4S batteries, I only have one, and it was at home...


No comments :

Post a Comment