The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, May 10, 2019

Southern New Hampshire Radio Control Club - Wagner Field


I fly out of a remarkable field, SNHRCC in Hudson, New Hampshire. It's sits on top of a closed landfill dome.  Its about 15 miles, or 30-40 minutes from my house in Chester, NH. The west side (I think I have it backwards on the vid) is nice, flat and long, but to avoid complaints from a housing development in the north west side, we only fly electrics on that side. On the east side we fly our nitro/gassers. The west side is more of the domed side, and curves steeply down on the west side beyond the road, and on the south side. The tall yellow grass on the west side marks the drop off. So when you dead-stick, like I did yesterday, and you have to put her down over there, not only can you not see the actual landing as its over the hill, but it may be a slope lateral to your line of flight. If you are way down there you will run into a concrete drain. The Ents on the south side bear close watching as they are huge so deceptively closer than the eye thinks. It also tends to be rather windy up here on Mt. Hudson, so one learns to fly in high winds with any degree of cross wind. It's a great place to learn stick and rudder, but is also a good place for stabilizer systems. Like most fields, the grass is kept nice and short (Thanks, Clarence, who is in the van that drives up in my video), but it's not putting green quality that would allow small wheeled EDF, sadly (and not so sadly, as there's another money pit I don't need). The dump that we drive through to get to the field is open on Saturday mornings so we can't fly on those days, as we not only can overfly the dump, but the traffic gets bad. I like flying alone and I get to most days. (I used to love flying with others, but at previous clubs the club politics, one-upsmanship, bullying, show boating, ruined that for me. I like not waiting to fly, doing as much tuning as I want, and not being judged).





No comments :

Post a Comment