The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Fixing Gripes: 10cc Ultra Stick

Today I dusted off the Evolution 10cc equipped Ultra Stick, which has yet to be maidened, and set her up for flight.



The electronics looked good. When I checked the bind and the throttle, rudder and elevator, the latter wasn't moving, and I smelled the invisible magic smoke. Further examination revealed that the elevator connection at the control arm was kinda frozen, stiff. I loosened it up, lubricated it. 



I removed the elevator servo, and it was hot and unresponsive. I replaced it with a generic Tianjin RC MG996 high torque metal gear digital standard servo, and all tested good.


Took her out to the backyard and she started right up, ran fine, still spewing oil. I let it run for a bit, ran the range of the throttle. She runs up fine, but still tends to delay on pulling back to idle then slowly come down. This is a sign the high needle is actually too lean. I didn't spend time on it today.



I decided that I wanted to just go ahead and replace the aileron servos as well, using the same MG996 servos.

Tomorrow I will attach the wing and run her up to see if I get the aileron flutter on the left.  Between the capicitor and the new servos I hope not. Then the next step is to see if I really need the 1kg of lead to make CG. Traditionally this is done dry,  but the fuel tank is far forward and adds a lot of weight forward of the CG. I think I will cheat that and try to keep her light.



No comments :

Post a Comment