The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Not my fault, but my fault...

I am sooo tired of this crashing yip I've developed, so much so I even gave up blogging and pouted for 10 days. This one isn't my fault, but is my fault.

Lost my new 20cc Pitts Model 12 to a build failure back, on 10/7/21.  At least it wasn't pilot error. Still hurts. Took off, had a blast flying the pattern for about 10 minutes with a couple of landing-turn-around-takeoffs, then flew 10 minutes of intense aerobatics. Finally turned downwind, coming down nicely, slowing turn to base leg, and she kept descending, applied more and more up elevator without a response, wings wiggled when asked, 3 F-bombs later she hit the ground. I had no elevator control. Hit the ground with quite a thump in a smooth continous descent.





Beautiful fun plane, my RCGF-USA 20cc Nitroplanes Pitts Model 12.
Wish I had another one.



Can you see the crash site, about a quarter mile out? 
That's a wet ditch without a bridge...



Can you see it now?



How about now? The debris field was at least 30 feet long.



Initial impact site.



Bounced about 30-40 feet...



The cowl turned back into fiberglass cloth. Engine was underneath.  
The rest was back in a different  zip code.




Internals are okay.  Not sure if there is supposed to be a light on with these new recievers.
Left the transmitter for the "swim" across the ditch, so couldn't test it.



Power was good. 



Only 47 frames lost, no holds. Not the radio system.



This was the culprit. The weak elevator horn attachment that I knew was weak, built it up, still thought I should throw a Dubro on it, but didn't. That's why its my fault. I knew there was a problem, and I ignored it. Crap.

Knowing it wasn't a pilot error, I spent the next hour flying 6 packs on my Trex 600e FBL. This flawless experience gave me solace.

Lesson learned. Looking for a 20cc  biplane...


No comments :

Post a Comment