The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, July 8, 2019

What is it with me and landing gear?

BEAUTIFUL DAY today. Took the Sbach and the Pulse XT60 out this afternoon. The Pulse started, ran fine, flew well, but discovered a small problem. The Sbach started but wouldn't run right. I removed the cowl, tuned her and she ran fine, but lacked something. I was flying her with the 12x8x3 blade, and she didn't seem to like it. I put the 2 blade 13x8 back on, small tweaks to the needles and she found her somethin'-somethin'! She wants the two blade. Sweet.



After the third flight, the first with the two blade, she rolled out after a nice landing and her gear just came right off. Right. The. Frick. Off.
Reset the crash clock...



The fore and aft tabs on the hard plate, and glue on those two longitudinal stringers was it. Thin balsa held the tabs in front. This was just begging to fail.





I did manage to find a muffler extension length and position to keep most of the exhaust oil off the fuselage.



The Pulse flew well. Her engine still sputters in the mid ranges, sweet at WOT. But her elevator servo will twitch once or twice up when the vibrations hit on WOT. I saw this is I gunned it, both in flight and on takeoff. It does it once, pitching the nose up then goes back, aa quick up flick. I bet this is what happened  when she flipped over her wing and threw the fuse cover. Need to replace that servo I guess.



So, the gang is all here. The Sbach is already fixed, strengthened the attachments. Still looking for a used 30cc gas engine for the MX-Bach. Here's hoping the Sbach and the Pulse become dependable.

No comments :

Post a Comment