The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, October 9, 2017

XK Transmitter and EC145 Heli First Flight

The XK transmitter for the XK EC145 came in today, with the extra batteries, always a fast shipper, MotionRC!

Like a good boy, I read the transmitter manual, after having read the heli manual. It was like a puzzle, a bunch of words tossed together that sort of look right but really don't say anything. I gleaned enough to sort out most of the set up, but there are still some issues.

TLDR: I flew it, she flies mostly well.


This isn't even Chinglish... More than that, it leaves a lot out and what is there isn't easy to sort. The heli manual's weakest issue is that it doesn't describe the features or the parts well. It doesn't explain that 3D is stabilization off, and 6G is stabilizing on. I think. I found the bind button on the control board, but one has to look for it, and there is not bind button on the transmitter; is that a Futaba thing? Most of this lack of features description is also found with the transmitter. I would like MotionRC to write their own manuals...



Greek.



That is the control board, acts as the receiver and gyro. The ESC is under the fuse. Battery fits in the tray between the two. That silver band is the antenna, but could be mistaken for a disconnected wire. One of the connectors on the board is for the front light on the fuse, but mine doesn't light up.



After several hovers in the basement. 

So, here's how it went. I put the heli together, choosing not to glue the little horizontal winglets on so they could come off. Which they did with some hard landings and rotor strikes. The swash looks level, the tracking was clean. 

After reading the frustrating manual for the transmitter, I started setting the heli up on it. I made a lot of guesses as to settings.  I assumed the channels needed no reversing (they didn't), and there is no adjustment for aileron or elevator, so there was nothing to set there. The swash range isn't degrees of pitch, just 0-100.  I don't 3D, so I did my sport set up. I set Normal pitch to all 50% for no pitch, and IdleUp to 50 (zero pitch), 60-75-85, I think (more or less). This works because she spins up slowly so I just start her in IdleUp. This gives me a nice full pitch range, though she doesn't lift until close to 70%. Throttle curve for Normal is 0-50-100-100-100, and for IdleUp all 100%.  The DR is set at 50 and 80%, and the Expo is 30-50, but they are linked as one switch changes DR and EXPO. I need to adjust those later. I set up the 3D/6G(Stabilized) switch per the instructions, but I think its backwards, so I leave it in the "off" position. When I switch it off the heli is un-flyable, but on she is; I think this is due to swash issues because she sits nicely on the ground hands off gyro on, but gyro off she skitters over and tries to strike her blades. Directional control is fine so far in hover (in the basement I didn't want to risk forward flight). Her pitch seems to vary on its own a lot, up and down without command a foot or two sometimes.  The swash is level, but I had to hold a lot of back and left on the cyclic. I trimmed this out as much as I could, but she still needs a little. The subtrim in the transmitter doesn't move the servos at all, so I have to use the trim. I may have to adjust the control rods.

I may play with her a little more tonight, but tomorrow with try her in the garage or if winds permit, outside.

I think she is going to be fun to fly!


No comments :

Post a Comment