The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, March 18, 2013

New Flight Modes

Recently read a thread on Helifreak that discussed flight modes, and I decided to make some changes. RDLohr suggested setting Normal as a start up mode.
 
My previous Normal mode had a throttle curve that went zero to 50% then 75 and 100%. The Normal pitch curve was 40% to 50% (zero pitch) then 75% to 100%.
 
I had only one Flight mode. Throttle curve was 100%-90%-100%, and the Pitch curve was linear 0% (max neg) - 50% (zero pitch) - 100% (max pos).
 
Here are the new curves programmed on my Spektrum DX8:
 
 
 
Normal Mode "Start Up" Pitch Curve: A slight neg pitch, around -4 to zero pitch.
Allows the heli to come up to speed without any pitch.
 
 
 
Normal mode throttle curve. brings the heli up to 90% throttle at zero pitch.
Allows a nice transition to Flight mode, no sudden jump in headspeed when
switching into Flight mode,
 
 
 
Flight mode 1 limits the pitch to around -10 to +10 degrees.
 
 
 
Flight mode 1 Throttle curve. Some like a straight 100% curve. I have done that...The idea is that when there is no pitch the throttle is down 10% to keep the headspeed more constant, That's the thought anyway,
 
 
 
Flight mode 2 Pitch curve: Full -12 to +12 degrees.
 
 
 
Same throttle curve for both flight modes.
 
Practiced these curves on the Phoenix Flight Sim and it works well. I also like that it allows me to bring the headspeed up to full without any pitch. I did this primarily for the smoother transition from Normal to Flight modes.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment