I really want to get the Morane Saulnier Type N into the air on its maiden flight today, Saturday. But Saturdays are too busy at the field, long waits between flights as others take their turns. But it's the only place where the field is suitable for small wheels, especially those on the Morane. It was a mostly cloudy day with no winds, so it was going to be packed, but I went anyway. I felt forced into it and that always comes with a nagging feeling that it isn't going to end well. I have such a distaste for crashing it often makes me always anxious until I am there flying. Today felt like that.
I got to the field and yep, no stations open, people doubling up. I drove away, but a block away I turned back. It's a 30 min drive and I was here. Maybe just go an wait. I stopped outside the gate, and turned away again. I parked across the street. The field is in a bowl of woods, so I can't see anything, as I fight the pros and cons. I decide to drive in and see what happens. I park at one end, and it's clear it's going slow. After a few minutes I decide to leave and I head home.
On the way I think I'll check out Joppa, thinking maybe this time the grass is short enough (never is) or maybe I can fly off the rock gravel parking lot (never can). I know I can't, but I go and laugh at myself as I pull in. Yeah, no way. And of course the grass is the same as it always is.
I drive off and decide to check out the field in my town out behind the school. It where the Alpha went into some trees. As I get there I laugh remembering the crash and seeing the trees, I can't understand how I thought there was enough room. The grass is shorter, so I decide to give it a shot. I take out the PT-17 Stearman. My irreplaceable Eflite balsa PT-17 Stearman.
I set it up, and it takes off with a bit of run out. Flies amazing as always! It's a little tight but manageable with plenty of room for safe takeoffs and landings. Second battery as good as the first. I go get the Cosmic Wind which I had also brought to fly at the field. Realized it's not set up in the transmitter.



No comments :
Post a Comment